Report: Rotherham United 2-2 Sheffield United

Late Proctor Strike Earns Point…
Jamie Proctor came off the bench to help Rotherham United earn a point against Sheffield United at the AESSEAL New York Stadium in Saturday‘s early kick off.
The clash between the Millers and the Blades ended in a 2-2 draw thanks to Proctor’s strike in injury time. However, Chris Basham thought he had given the visitors all three points late on after Jon Taylor cancelled out Mark Duffy’s opener with little time remaining.
It was the hosts who started the brighter, as inside the opening seconds of the contest, Taylor got to the byline and crossed well only to find Richie Towell, whose volley was well saved by Dean Henderson.

The hosts were persistent with their pressure as John Egan was forced into blocking Ryan Manning’s half volley following a long throw from the returning Will Vaulks, before Taylor headed over from another long throw by Vaulks.

Soon after and against the run of play, the visitors took the lead, the ball was given away by Semi Ajayi, and Enda Stevens picked out Duffy who kept his cool to slot beyond Marek Rodak.
The visitors’ next attempt saw Duffy being halted in his tracks by Ajayi, before Oliver Norwood’s free-kick was hit well over the bar.

Just before the break, the hosts were denied by a great save from Henderson as Ajayi sent a header towards goal from Taylor’s cross.
Chances came at both ends with five minutes remaining of the first half, first Taylor saw an effort pushed arround the post by Henderson before Vaulks produced a great goal line clearance to deny David McGoldrick from close range.

Rotherham had the lions share of the chances towards the end of the first half. Vaulks played in Zak Vyner before he found Ryan Williams but his effort from 25yards out went narrowly wide.

In first half stoppage time, some good play from Taylor saw him get beyond his man only for his cross to be just out of the reach of Towell who arrived a tad late in the area.

Half-Time: Rotherham United 0-1 Sheffield United .

The second half started like the first, with the hosts on the front foot, Towell forged a decent opportunity but his cross was headed wide by Smith. Shortly after, some great play by Taylor won a free-kick for Rotherham but the set-piece was poor from the winger.

More good football from the Millers saw Towell spread it out wide for Vyner whose cross was deflected into the air before Vaulks and Henderson collided, the latter requiring treatment after coming off worse.

The hosts carried on on the front foot as they continued to look dangerous in attack. Smith headed into the path of Taylor, who managed to find Manning but his cross couldn’t find a red shirt. Minutes later and it was Vaulks this time who found Williams with an impressive 50yard pass. Williams’ then picked out Taylor with a pinpoint cross, who teed up Manning his effort was blocked en-route to goal.

The first and only card of the game came on 62 minutes as Basham was cautioned for a late challenge on Manning.

Midfielder Vaulks then found space 30yards out but his effort was poor and went behind for a goal kick. Shortly after, his throw in found Joe Newell and the winger’s pace managed to win a corner for Rotherham.From the corner, Henderson made a superb stop to deny Clark Robertson but just seconds later Taylor’s effort from outside the area took a kind deflection as it beat Henderson finding the bottom corner, the goal was deserved.

With six minutes remaining of the contest, Ajayi sent a header wide of the near post before the visitors took the lead again.
Billy Sharp managed to get a cross into the far post and against the run of play, defender Basham, comfortably headed home to give the Blades the lead for a second time.

With just three minutes of normal time remaining, Paul Warne made two attacking changes as he looked to get his side back into the game, both Vyner and Williams were replaced by Kyle Vassell and Proctor.

Vassell’s first involvement was to fire a shot from the edge of the area but his effort failed to trouble Henderson in the visitors goal, the referee felt there was enough stoppages in the game, and added five minutes to the end of the contest.

Inside two of the five added, Rotherham forced a second and deserved equaliser, Smith’s cross found his strike partner Proctor who fired home a rocket to ensure the points were shared.

Full-Time: Rotherham United 2-2 Sheffield United

Rotherham United: Rodak, Vyner (Vassell 87), Mattock, Vaulks, Ajayi, Taylor, Towell, Robertson, Manning (Newell 63), Williams (Proctor 87), Smith.

Booked: None

Goals: Taylor 66′, Proctor 90′

Sheffield United: Henderson, Stevens, Fleck, O’Connell, Basham, Sharp (Johnson 90), Egan, Norwood, McGoldrick (Clarke 62), Freeman, Duffy (Stearman 87).

Booked: Basham (Foul 62′)

Goals: Duffy 8′, Basham 85′

Referee: P.Bankes

Attendance: 11,607 (2,601 Sheffield United)

Picture Credit: Rotherham United


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s