Report: Wycombe Wanderers 3-2 Scunthorpe United

Ten-man Wycombe produced an incredible comeback to win at Adams Park for the second time in succession thanks to Craig Mackail-Smith’s 94th minute winner.

After the visitors Scunthorpe went two ahead inside seven minutes, it looked like the Burton game would just have been a one off at home for Wanderers, but Dom Gape’s brilliant strike got them back into it and they took advantage of a tiring Iron side with another stunning effort from Fred Onyedinma and then a late, late goal from Mackail-Smith when he found himself in on goal.

The winner came when the Chairboys had ten men as well, after Ryan Allsop was dismissed with ten minutes of the ninety remaining. His replacement, Yves Ma-Kalambay, hardly had a save to make as Wycombe squeezed over the line to move up to 17th in League One ahead of another crucial game in South Bucks on Tuesday, this time against Rochdale.

Wanderers made two changes to the side that narrowly lost to Coventry as Paris Cowan-Hall and Fred Onyedinma came in for Randell Williams and Matt Bloomfield. This meant a slight change in shape for the Chairboys as Cowan-Hall and Onyedinma played either side of Dom Gape and Curtis Thompson in a midfield four with Adebayo Akinfenwa and Craig Mackail-Smith the frontmen. Scunny made three alterations to their eleven, which saw Josh Morris, Matt Lund and Lee Novak replaced by Andy Dales, James Perch and George Thomas.


It was a nightmare start for the Chairboys as they conceded their earliest goal since 2003. Ryan Colclough was unchallenged as he made his way into the area and finished neatly into the corner while falling to give Scunthorpe the earliest of leads. Twenty-one seconds was the precise timing, but Wycombe almost equalised immediately when Craig Mackail-Smith decided to head wide with the better option maybe being to take it down and shoot with his feet. The Iron made it two inside seven minutes, though, as a well-worked team move found its way to Fulham loanee Stephen Humphrys, who slotted neatly into the corner to shellshock Adams Park.

Scunthorpe remained the better side as the first half wore on, with Andy Dales causing all sorts of trouble for Joe Jacobson down Wycombe’s left side. Wanderers got one back after twenty-seven minutes, though, as a scramble in the box found its way to Dom Gape just outside the area, who smashed it into the top corner for his third Chairboys goal. Paris Cowan-Hall forced a save from Jak Alnwick, and Adebayo Akinfenwa headed over from close range as Wycombe looked to go into half-time level. They couldn’t find the equaliser in time, so Scunthorpe led 2-1 at the break.

HALF-TIME: Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 Scunthorpe United

Fred Onyedinma was causing trouble early in the second half, and the ball nearly found its way in after a mazy run from the Millwall loanee. Soon after however, he scored his first Wycombe goal since 2015 to equalise with a curled finish after Akinfenwa laid it off to him. There was a significant lull in the game after this with several injuries contributing to the eventual nine added minutes. Wanderers were starting to crank up the pressure in the final stages with several penalty appeals and half-chances missed. However, they received a set back soon after as Ryan Allsop was put in trouble by Jason McCarthy, and he had to bring down Ike Ugbo outside the area.

The referee, Alan Young, on his first full EFL outing, didn’t have the best of games and arguably completed it by deciding to send the ‘keeper off, even though the ball was heading towards the corner flag and there was a covering defender. Paris Cowan-Hall was sacrificed for Ma-Kalambay as the Chairboys hoped to see out the draw. A chance fell their way for the win, though, and Craig Mackail-Smith made no mistake, taking it down and finishing expertly to spark pandemonium in the stands at Adams Park. The former Scotland international was incredibly replaced by another attacker in Randell Williams with Wycombe looking to ease to the final whistle, but that didn’t matter as the game finally ended 3-2.

FULL-TIME: Wycombe Wanderers 3-2 Scunthorpe United

The fairytale comebacks of last season seem to be rearing their head again in 2018-19, and all Wycombe fans will be hoping that they are what help them to League One survival this season. Next up for the Chairboys is a home tie with Rochdale, which is followed by a trip to the West Midlands to face Walsall.

There is also the FA Cup first round draw in the imminent future as Wycombe look to build on this incredible comeback success.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s