Report: Rotherham United 2-2 Stoke City – Late Bojan Strike Earns Potters Point

Rotherham United saw a two goal lead slip as a late Bojan Krkic goal secured Stoke City a point as both teams played out a 2-2 draw.

Ryan Manning scored a penalty for the hosts early in the secondhalf – following Ashley Williams’ clumsy challenge on Ryan Williams. Beforehand Richie Towell converted from close range following Richard Wood’s header back across goal.

Stoke’s first came thanks to an Eric Pieters low cross finding Tom Ince – who converted from close range. It was substitue Bojan who earned Rowett’s men a point.

The first chance of the game fell for the visitors on five minutes, Benik Afobe broke the offside trap but Marek Rodak saved the striker’s tamed effort.

Rotherham’s first attempt came when Manning played in Joe Mattock who got to the byline and crossed for Michael Smith whose header was claimed well by Jack Butland, at the other end, Afobe was denied by Rodak before Semi Ajayi cleared the loose ball.

Two chances for the hosts came on the half hour mark, first Manning hit the side netting when tried to catch Butland off his line at a tight angle earlier Joe Newell’s cross almost picked out Mattock.

Afobe then won a free header but saw his effort bounce back off the bar and the Millers cleared the danger.

With five minutes to go in the first-half, Ince fired an effort way over the bar from 30yards, Towell played in Ryan Williams and he tried to find Smith but it was cut out and Newell failed to control Manning’s pass.

Before the break another cross came in for the visitors and Afobe sends an header towards goal and Rodak made a routine save.

After the break, it was the hosts who started the quicker, won an early penalty. Williams did well to get past Williams who felled the Millerswinger.

Manning stepped up and sent his spot kick past Butland though who got an hand to his effort but couldn’t keep it out.

It was two soon after for the Millers, Williams sent a corner in for Wood to head back across goal and Towell mopped up from close range.

Nine minutes after the hosts had doubled the lead the visitors got one back, a low cross from Pieters was swepted home via Ince with a cool finish.

Joe Allen went close for Stoke when his volley hit the crossbar and bounced over, at the other end, Smith could only head Williams’ cross wide of target.

A free-kick for the visitors was overhit by Charlie Adam and it went behind for a goal kick.

With five minutes left to play Afobe crossed well for Bojan to head past Rodak and levelled for the Potters.

Williams then broke down the wing and his cross was collected well by Butland.

There were chances at both ends in the six minutes of stoppage time, however neither side could find that all important winner.

Rotherham United XI: Rodak, Jones, Ajayi, Wood (Vyner 55), Mattock; R Williams, Vaulks, Towell, Manning, Newell (Taylor 68); Smith.

Stoke City XI: Butland, Pieters, A Williams, Etebo (Bojan 65), Martins Indi, Allen (Adam 81), Martina, Woods, Berahino (Crouch 81), Ince, Afobe

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 9,706 (1,811 visitors).

Picture Credit: Rotherham United


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s