Luton Town 1-0 Bristol Rovers – Clarke gives scathing attack on his players

Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke laid into his players after his side lost 1-0 at Kenilworth Road, condemning the club into the bottom four of League One.

Rovers managed to register zero shots on target as they were unimpressive throughout the 90 minutes and lacked any threat going forward.

In his post-match press conference, Clarke had to say this about his side’s defeat,

“We were absolutely abysmal for 45 minutes. I have to take responsibility as I always do. Every decision I seem to be making at the moment is costing us.”

“We need more from the players. I let my feelings known in there[dressing room] and we all have to do better.”

“I’ve got to be the first one to hold my hands up. Now I will be playing a team that’s gonna be reliable without the ball as well cause too many are not producing at the moment.”

“There was a lot of frustration and a lot of anger by me to my players.”

Clarke also admitted that he is very alarmed by the club’s current situation,

“What I will say is that after eight games of the season we are in a relegation fight.”

“I am very concerned and I am not gonna stand here and lie and say everything is rosy when it isn’t and it’s not good enough for this football club and it’s not standards we have set for the last four and a half years.”

“I am accountable. The players that have come into the club have not been good enough and haven’t shown enough. Players that have been here a few years aren’t showing enough.”

“I told my players in there that this football club isn’t going to be a nice place for the next few weeks and I am not tolerating performances like that and some of those players can come out of their comfort zone.”

It was a game that saw the home side create some very good opportunities. Rovers keeper Jack Bonham was kept very busy in the September sunshine but it was a shame that his side delivered a poor all-round display.

Luton was largely left frustrated given the chances they missed. James Collins and Pelly Ruddock both in the first half saw their efforts stopped well by the keeper.

The winning goal came courtesy of Scottish midfielder Andrew Shinnie.

After a free-kick was hit with power and was punched by the keeper Jack Bonham. The second ball was then partially headed away by Joe Martin.

The ball then was taken down on the chest beautifully by Shinnie, who let the ball drop and fired low at Bonham’s near post to finally give Luton the lead and break the deadlock.

The game was also overshadowed for a double leg break for Luton midfielder Eunan O’Kane. It was revealed after the game that the Irishman, on loan from Leeds broke his Tibia and Fibula as a result of a challenge.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s